What a delicious and healthy muffin – with chocolate chips to top it off! I will not discuss how many (in a row) I consumed of these…The oatmeal gives it a great chewy texture, and of course, the chocolate chips make it feel like I’m eating dessert!
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup greek yogurt
1/4 cup light brown sugar (not packed)
1 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups of bananas (I ended up using 2 bananas)
2 large eggs
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup golden flax seed meal
1/2 cup oatmeal
2/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line your muffin tin with 12 cups. If you choose not to line them, definitely lightly grease the muffin tin. You could heavily grease if you’re not using any form of oil (such as sub-ing out coconut oil for greek yogurt)
- Mix the coconut oil, yogurt, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla until smooth.
- Beat in 1 egg at a time, using either an electric hand mixer, or a fork! (I’ve gotten into the weird habit of using a fork)
- Mush up bananas so that they are semi-liquid. Banana chunks are ok since they will “melt away” when baked.
- Add banana and chocolate chips to wet mixture.
- Add dry mixture 1/4 cup at a time, beating until smooth. Make sure to not overmix!
- Add chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter into your muffin cups, filling to the top. These rise just enough when filled to the top.
- Bake 25 minutes. If desired, you may transfer to a rack after 5 minutes to cool.
The flour/dry mixture can be substituted for practically any kind of flour – completely up to you! I’d love to try a buckwheat or almond flour mixture. Feel free to throw in wheat/oat bran in there as well. You can also try adding 1/2 of walnuts/pecans, and/or substitute in peanut chips for the chocolate chips. The coconut oil + yogurt can be substituted for any combination of applesauce, butter, vegan butter, oil, sweetened non-greek yogurt (then just cut out the brown sugar completely).
Regardless, any combination will be just divine. I’m drooling just thinking about this recipe.