These delicious muffins were over-brimming with blueberries – just the way I like it! I gave friends a “mess alert” though before consuming. Your mouth will turn blue! But your stomach will be very happy.
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 cup slivered almonds (about 2 1/2 ounces)
1/4 cup (not packed) light brown sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick), melted
some spray oil
1/2 cup milk
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2.5 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (I used a 16 oz bag)
- Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange a rack in the middle. The muffins rise a little, but not a ton. Place cupcake liners in a 12-well muffin pan. Spray each muffin with butter. Set the pan aside.
- Whisk the flours, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl to break up any lumps and aerate the mixture; set aside.
- Place the almonds and sugars in the food processor and pulse until they resemble the texture of medium-ground cornmeal, about 30 (1-second) pulses. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add the melted butter, milk, eggs, and vanilla and whisk until evenly combined.
- Add the butter-sugar mixture and the blueberries to the reserved flour mixture and stir until just evenly mixed, about 30 strokes. (A few lumps will remain, but don’t overmix—the batter will be thick but the ingredients should be evenly incorporated.) The mixture will turn blue/purple – that is it’s charm!
- Divide the batter among the muffin wells, the wells will be full, so that’s ok.
- Bake about 22 to 25 minutes. Let the muffins cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. I suggest cooling for 15-30 min total before consuming since these will be extra juicy from the abundant blueberries!