These mini flag red velvet cakes were delicious – and super fun to make! I loved how the colors turned out, and the blueberries were a great addition. I highly recommend, even if it’s not July 4th! I used the same recipe (below) to make both the mini flag cakes, and the regular cupcakes.
I got this recipe from Erica’s Sweet Tooth blog. She even has a section for “Boozy Treats”!
2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cocoa
1-1/2 cups sugar
1-1/2 cups canola oil
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp red gel food coloring dissolved in 6 tbsp water (or 1 1 oz bottle)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter
1 (8oz) package cream cheese
1 box (4 cups) confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare muffin tins with 24 liners
– Mix the flour, baking soda, and cocoa in one bowl, sugar and eggs in another, and oil, vinegar, food coloring, vanilla, and buttermilk in yet another.
– Add the oil mixture to the egg mixture and beat until well combined
– Add the flour mixture in small intervals, mixing well witah each addition
– Fill 24 liners up with batter 3/4 of the way full
– Bake for 25 minutes and let completely cool before frosting
– For the frosting, cream together the butter and cream cheese and add the sugar in small intervals until well mixed.
– Mix in the vanilla and frost the cupcakes!